A LEADER IN THE PLUMBING, ELECTRICAL & HVACR INDUSTRY
The Lawton Group is a locally-owned, full-service residential and commercial plumbing, HVAC, refrigeration and electrical company with headquartered in McKinney, Texas and current locations in Dallas and Austin. Plans are under way to expand to other Texas markets.
The Director of Accounting and Finance reports to the CEO/President of Lawton Group and is responsible for
fostering an environment and culture of stewardship of company funds and accounting records, and creating compensating controls to optimize effectiveness of all accounting and treasury operations. The incumbent will oversee the general accounting, financial reporting, credit, A/R, A/P functions in a manner that ensures a system of internal controls and financial reporting that adequately safeguard company assets, all GAAP compliance requirements are met and optimal forecasting and decision support to grow the company.
Key stakeholders include the CEO, President of Lawton Group, VP Operations, Operations Managers, Director of Human Resources and Accounting Staff.
Partner with managers to ensure internal controls, policies and procedures are followed.
Ensure timely and accurate financial reporting, budgeting and optimized cash flow management.
- Provided leadership and coaching to business unit managers on all areas of accounting policy, maintaining internal controls, and managing fiduciary process and procedures.
- Proactively identify and communicate cash management changes to internal stakeholders.
Hire, develop, retain and direct high performing team members in a manner that promotes trust, collaboration and consistently achieves business goals.
- Manage cash flow in a manner that ensures adequate levels of capital are available for short-term needs, consistent efficiency of operations and overall costs are optimized.
- Effectively forecast cash disbursements and collections.
- Produce financial results for all fiscal periods (Month/Quarter/Year End Close).
- Perform and oversee proper reconciliation of general ledger accounts, including overseeing the resolution to any issues/outstanding items.
- Oversee preparation of sales tax, payroll tax, and property tax reports.
- Prepare financials for preparation of federal and state tax returns.
- Lead the budgeting/forecasting and variance analyses.
- Assist business unit leaders with various areas of budget and forecast development.
- Investigate and mitigate variance analysis of actual vs budget/forecast/prior year.
Drive and nurture effective internal controls and operational systems that strategically promote a culture of compliance, innovation, empowerment and business growth.
- Demonstrate leadership and management in a manner that positively motivates and supports the company’s values, policies and ethical principles.
- Create an environment that allows for creativity and fosters independent thinking.
- Create a high-trust environment where each employee feels valued.
- Proactively establish priorities and ensure consistent and timely follow through.
- Empower accounting staff through education and training to confidently interact with internal and external customers.
- Be the internal functional expert on all controllership activities and GAAP accounting requirements.
Partner with c-suite leadership to manage the business by the numbers. Monitor financial performance and proactively take corrective action to ensure P&L business goal achievement.
- Provide project management leadership for a variety of projects including but not limited to financial systems improvement, process enhancements, policy and procedures, accounting structures for new business models and relationships.
- Proactively and collaboratively evaluate, design and implement systems changes that lead to operational and financial improvement.
- Monitor and advise on all aspects of the P&L/balance sheet.
- Develop and manage to a quarterly budget.
- Create awareness by providing operations managers with weekly/monthly performance reports.
- Partner with and inform Lawton management and support staff to achieve business goals.
- Collaborate with senior leadership to identify best internal control strategies and implement business decisions.
- Minimum of 5 years managing an accounting/finance organization, preferably at the Controller level, with financial reporting experience.
- Undergraduate or masters degree in accounting and finance.
- Demonstrable record of financial acumen, leadership and management.
- Nice to have: Previous experience in the commercial plumbing, HVAC, refrigeration, electrical industry and/or residential services.